A group of Regnar’s Relievers under the order of Captain Whalgren is traveling with a wagon of supplies from Tamran along the edge of Lake Encarthan with the eventual goal of reaching the port city of Caliphas. Still a few days from the city-town of Vellumis they stop at the farmstead of Wendel Stout and his wife Emily.
The Relievers at hand are:
Farmer John of Dale, a Human widower who fights with his trusted scythe.
Serinoth, a Half-Elf Rogue who likely carries more blades than are seen.
Stacker, a Human veteran who wields a two-handed Sword with great enthusiasm.
Din, a Half-Elf Ranger whose speed with the bow and arrow is more than remarkable and has been in the mercenary company back when it was called Roger’s Relievers.
Omer Naquin, a Human whose faith in the god Erastil serves as his shield when wood and metal cannot.
The brothers Anhandrin and Bonhandrin, a Ranger and a Holy Scribe of Shelon. Young inexperienced Elves born in the Age of Man.
The current group is led by Roberto Bragachio, also called Lieutenant Bob, a Human who is on watch between barn and farmhouse on a clear night illuminated by a three-quarter moon. Bob shouts an alarm when several dozen goblins approach the Farmhouse from the nearby woods.
First there is a shrill whistling sound and the thunk of an arrow against the barn where John of Dale and Din are sleeping lightly and awake immediately. Several more arrows tipped with fire strike the barn and the dry wood catches immediately and the others who have paid their Kings Quarter to the Stouts for their hospitality awake soon after.
Immediately John of Dale pushes the laden wagon from the barn while Din takes one look at the approaching goblins and takes cover at the far edge of the barn out of sight from the raiding party. Lt. Bob tells John that he’s got the wagon and will push it away from the barn so the Farmer and his Scythe can engage the goblins more readily.
The others; Serinoth, Omer, Stacker and the Elven brothers leap out of windows and towards doors to take positions against approaching goblin spearmen as another signal arrow is fired followed by more fire arrows which alight on the near corner of the farm house.
- elf brothers shoot goblin banner men, archers start to rout
- John hews down spearmen as the barn burns
- deft maneuvering by Serinith
- defensive protection by Omer standing his ground and guarding the front door
- night gobs explode and create a hole in one corner and a fire in another
- Stouts fetch water from well to douse the fire on the house
- Din shoots 2 at point blank, sees the bugbear with the wagon
- 3 goblins vs Stacker
- a pair of hobgoblins look on from a distance
- Lt. Bob takes more wounds than he gives, keeps delaying his actions against the goblins
- four Worg riders attack from the darkness and harrie the elves, one is shot and their rider thrown as they escape into the dark, one rides past Bob during the retreat to take a swipe
- a horn sounds a retreat and the rest of the goblins flee as the bugbear is shot down and the wagon rolls off into the darkness and into a tree, the last pair of Worg riders race past the bugbear and wagon during the retreat
(to be continued…)